Παρασκευή, Νοεμβρίου 12, 2004

Introductory entry.

If anyone is reading this, you are propably wondering what is this all about...

I have never before written a blog but I think it could prove useful in two major ways:
  1. I'll be forced to commit (core dump ;-)) many of my thoughts to written form and thus make them semi-permanent (permanent is reserved for something chiseled in stone, not something written in volatile electronic media...). This may prove useful for future (self-)reference.
  2. I might able to interact with people that make similar thoughts and share my views on Life, the Universe and Everything.
Major subjects that interest me are:
  • Medicine (I hold an MD degree)
  • Molecular biology of cancer (main research for my PhD)
  • Computer programming and computer science, especially combinatorial algorithms and complexity. I have written code in C/C++, Pascal, Perl, x86 assembly. I have read Knuth's The art of computer programming (and solved many exercises).
  • Leenuks (since kernel 1.0.8, yes I remember a.out, libc5 and the days before the penguin). I use Slackware and may migrate to gentto-AMD64 for 64-bit support.
  • TeX and digital typography.
  • Classical piano. I hold a degree in Piano performance (Bachelor level) from the National Conservatory in Athens. I am now trying to obtain a Diploma (Master level).
  • Hi-Fi equipment and music recording/reproduction
  • Shotokan karate, I hold a 1st dan black belt. I've been in seminars with Enoeda sensei (JKA) and Kanazawa sensei (SKI).
Please keep reading. I promise that some of the stuff I write will be interesting to you, too. I gladly accept coments.

PKT