Σάββατο, Ιουλίου 02, 2005

TFT + CRT desktop




This has been debated a million times. Everyone (and their dog) knows the absolute truth about TFT and CRT and has a very clear opinion that can usually be summarized as "TFT is teh r0x0rz" or "TFT is teh sux0rz".

Since I recently bought a decent 19" TFT I have been amazed by the significant differences that I discovered between these two technologies in various tasks. Take my opinion for what it is, i.e. an opinion, not a bullet-proof double-blind experiment

For the record, the CRT is an excellent flat Nokia 730C with 96KHz sync. It displays 1600x1200 but I usually prefer 1152x864@100Hz. The TFT is an IIyama Prolite E485S 19" (very few reviews of that one in the internet...) that displays 1280x1024@75Hz. It has a DVI connector and it is quite cheap at 390 Euros. For details see this page in ...French (tech stats still readable, of course). It seems that the model has been discontinued and is no longer shown in the UK or US pages. I drive both with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

I'll make my observations into a short list:
  • The TFT fixed resolution is not as restrictive as I thought. Even in non-native modes, like 800x600, the quality is acceptable for games. I assumed that I'd have to use 1280x1024 for everything but that is not the case.
  • This monitor has a 23ms (nominal) response time but in practice, even in very fast games like Quake 3 or UT2004 I was not bothered much. I could use a snappier response, but I had no trouble playing Q3 at "hardcore" levels. For strategy, RPG and other less intensive games the screen is fine.
  • The refresh rate does matter, although you don't need 120Hz to get a steady image with a TFT. 60Hz does flicker a little on the TFT and I routinely choose 75Hz.
  • The analog output is obviously degraded when I use both screens at the same time. This makes the CRT look hazy. I suppose there is a point in buying "high-end" (as in Matrox, for example) graphics cards for multi-CRT work.
  • I did not see a huge difference moving my TFT from analog to DVI. It's probably better but not by much. Your mileage may vary depending on the quality of your graphics card (DAC) and the quality of the TFT's digitization circuits (ADC).
  • The TFT color is simply not as good as the CRT. The Nokia has a very good color performance and side-to-side comparison running two copies of the same movie reveals huge differences. I used to think that the color performance of the TFT was really good, until I saw the same movie scene side by side. The only way to get a good color range with the TFT is to use insane levels of brightness. When both monitors are adjusted to the same brightness levels that don't make my eyes hurt the range of the TFT is limited. Most importantly, black is not really ... black. It looks more like dark green. On the other hand, the color is quite homogeneous and the contrast is strong and appropriate for text and office use. I have configured the TFT at 24% brightness and 36% contrast. More expensive TFTs may be better at this, but I cannot afford them right now!!
  • Subpixel antialiasing for fonts is a controversial issue. Some fonts are markedly improved, others are degraded. I suppose that the font design should be taken into account. Admittedly, the Windows fonts are quite good with subpixel antialiasing (Microsoft calls this "ClearType") and most users are right in preferring them. The Linux/X/freetype algorithm is also very good and provides excellent results with some fonts.
  • I have noticed one faulty subpixel in my screen. Luckily, it is at the right boundary and I never see it in ordinary conditions. For those that want a precise test, this page can help (and, no, you don't have to pay anything)!

I'm quite happy with my new monitor, but the TFT technology must certainly be improved. Unfortunately, the response time has become a major selling point, even though the majority of users really won't notice the difference between 25ms and 8ms for everyday tasks. I'd rather have excellent color instead. From a marketing perspective, excellent color is not something you can easily quantify, while the 8 vs 12 vs 16 ms response time is something that even the most naive user can grasp.

PKT